Below is my version of how I make it as well as a version I pulled out of my people magazine by Chef Sam Kass. Both quite different yet so good!
Head out to the farmers market for some fall veggies and enjoy! Don't forget that collard greens are at their best after the first frost, in which they are less bitter)
Sweet Potatoes And Greens - Jolene's Version
2 large sweet potatoes
1 bag of pre-washed spinach
4 cloves of garlic
1. Wash the sweet potatoes and cut into cubes.
2. Put the potatoes with 2 peeled cloves of garlic into a pot with water that just covers them and bring to a boil. Once tender, remove from heat and drain water.
3. While the sweet potatoes are cooking heat a little olive oil in a skillet and add minced fresh garlic, cook slightly then add the spinach, put a couple tablespoons of lemon juice over the spinach. Saute and season with Janes crazy mixed up seasoning.
4. While the spinach is cooking mash the sweet potatoes with a little butter, don't need much. Add one packet of Sazon Goya and stir in.
5. Slice tomatoes and sprinkle with sea salt.
6. Place the spinach on a plate, top with the with mashed sweet potatoes and then top with a spoonful of cottage cheese. Place the sliced tomatoes off to the side and enjoy! You will love all the beautiful colors on your plate and will be completely satisfied.
Sweet Potatoes And Greens - Chef Sam Kass
2 or 3 large sweet potatoes
2 bunches of greens (chard, kale or collards)
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground gloves
salt and pepper
1/4 tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil.
1. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into bite size pieces
2. Heath half the oil in pan over medium heat and add potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just brown on all sides and soft. (about 12-15 minutes, depending on size) when they are cooked, add spices and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, wash the greens (do not dry), remove stems and cut leaves into small pieces. Heat remaining oil over medium heat, add the garlic and cook for a minute before adding greens. Stir often and cook until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Combine potatoes, honey and lemon juice with the greens, stir and serve.
Makes 4 servings.