Sunday, August 2, 2009

Seasonal Dishes - Miso Salmon & Watermelon Cucumber Salad

Growing up with a garden, what we ate year round was very much seasonal based. To this day I still follow that rule. I don't make or eat hot soups or chowders in the summer, chili is strictly a fall food and collard greens are best after the first frost. Which means every season I look forward to some favorite dishes that I only get a few times a year.

With the end of summer approaching faster than I like to admit, there are so many dishes I have wanted to make yet haven't. Mainly due to the fact that when I make a dish for myself I have to live off it for a week straight, I have still yet to figure out how to cook for 1.

Below are a few that I have been thinking about making lately and wanted to share.

Watermelon-Cucumber Salad
Serves 6
Half a small watermelon, to make 4 cups fruit
3 medium cucumbers
1 cup feta cheese crumbles
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp champagne vinegar
3/4 cup fresh basil or mint, cut into thin strips (if you need any basil or mint, I have excess)

Cut the melon away from the rind and dice the flesh into 1-inch chunks. Get rid of as many seeds as you can.

Peel the cucumbers and cut into 1-inch chunks.

Toss the melon and cucumbers lightly with the cheese.

Mix the oil and vinegar and pour over the salad. Add the fresh herbs and toss again.

Miso Lime Ginger Glazed Salmon
1/4 cup red miso (soybean paste)
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp mirin (sweet rice wine)
4 (6 ounce) skinless butterfly cut salmon filets
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
2 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
cooking spray
1 tbsp black or white sesame seeds, toasted

Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. 

Brush fish with miso mixture. Cover and chill 30 minutes.

Combine honey, lime juice and ginger in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cook 10 minutes or until the mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon, set aside.

Coat broiler or grill with cooking spray.

Pre-heat broiler or grill.

Cook fish 3 minutes each side and drizzle honey mixture over fish. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

If you want a peanut miso sauce for dipping;

Peanut Miso Sauce
1/3 cup reduced fat peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
3 tbsp yellow miso paste
2 tbsp water
3 tsp fresh lime juice
1/8 tsp ground red pepper

ENJOY!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment