Thursday, September 3, 2009

You can feel it in the air!

Fall is quickly approaching and I couldn't be happier. The air is crisp and I am anxiously anticipating a drive through the Blue Ridge Mountains to see the vibrant leaves as they change to red, yellow and orange.

Being one of my favorite seasons not only for running but for food as well. Today I caught myself thinking about clam chowder, garlic soup, cream of mushroom soup, barley stuffed squash and chili. All home-made of course!

I am hoping to make the above dishes for you all this fall and will share the recipes after you get to taste them, but in the interim, I will share a recipe for my mom's Spicy White Bean Soup. I hope you enjoy it!

Spicy White Bean Soup

1 large chopped onion
2 tbsp butter melted
2 (15.8 oz) cans great North Beans rinsed and drained
2 (15.5 oz) cans Yellow Hominy rinsed and drained
2 (14.5 oz) cans Chili Style chopped tomatoes, un-drained
2 (14.5 oz) cans ready to serve vegetable broth - or you can make your own
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

Cook onion in butter in a large dutch oven over medium high heat until tender. Add beans and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment