Monday, January 23, 2012

3-3-3 Chili

Hands down the best chili I have ever made and I have made a lot of chili.

Courtesy of Woman's Day and Linda Arceo


Ingredients



  • 5 slice(s) bacon, cut into ½-in. pieces
  • 1 pound(s) beef chuck, trimmed and cut into ½-in. pieces
  • 8 ounce(s) hot Italian sausage (about 2 links), casings removed
  • 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • Kosher salt and pepper
  • 1  green bell pepper, cut into ¼-in. pieces
  • 1  jalapeño (seeded, if desired), finely chopped
  • 1 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped - I added 3 to mine.
  • 1 28-oz can(s) crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon(s) Tabasco sauce - Texas Pete's Hot Sauce is what I used
  • 1 tablespoon(s) chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon(s) pickled jalapeño juice (optional)
  • 1  chile de arbol pepper, crushed, or ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 - 15 ounce(s) can pinto beans, rinsed
  • 1 - 15 ounce(s) can black beans, rinsed
  • 1 - 15 ounce(s) can of red kidney beans, rinsed
  • Shredded cheeses (such as Muenster, Monterey Jack and/or Cheddar), sliced avocado and radishes, and tortillas, for serving
  • I also added; halved black olives and drained canned corn. 
  • Tostitos hint of lime tortilla chips are perfect for dipping.


  • Directions



  • Cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
  • Add the beef to the pan and cook until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a second plate and set aside. Pour off any liquid and return the pan to medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the sausage to the plate with the beef.
  • Wipe out the pan and heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and ½ tsp salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and jalapeño and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
  • Add the crushed tomatoes, Tabasco, chili powder, cumin, jalapeño juice (if using), ½ tsp each salt and pepper, and 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Return the beef and sausage to the pan add the chile de arbol and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
  • Add the beans and reserved bacon and simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 45 to 55 minutes more. Serve with the cheese, avocado, radishes and tortillas, if desired.





  • 4 comments:

    1. Hi, I found this recipe while leafing through Woman's Day at my hair salon. When I got home, I did a search for it and I noticed on the original recipe, it states that there are "three beans" used. I only see two kinds of beans, or am I completely missing something? I'm planning on using a can of black beans, a can of red kidney beans and a can of pinto beans. I've been looking for a new chili recipe and I hope this one will be good. I'm making it for dinner tonight, along with some cornbread, so we'll see if the family likes it!

      ReplyDelete
    2. You are so right. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have updated it to reflect the 3 different types of beans.

      Please let me know how yours turned out. The cheddar cheese, avocados and extra hot sauce on mine was just awesome.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I am the creator of this receipe! Thank you so much for featuring me on your blog!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Anytime Linda! Thank you for such a wonderful recipe. Hope to see more yummy dishes from you. Jolene

      ReplyDelete